Sunday 15 February 2009

Slave to the Brand


So here's the scene. Far from sober, using the rather accommodating wall next to the urinal as a leaning post, I managed to witness the whole reason for this blog entry. As I dozed in my innebriated state, a guy in the next cubicle to me was under a torrent of abuse from his peers for the choice of shirt he was wearing at the infamous Gatecrasher Wednesday night. As I listened in, it became clear that this poor victim of irrational insults, was being berated purely for wearing an "uncool" brand name. I forget exactly what he was wearing ,but it did get me thinking. Why should someone feel uneasy wearing what they want just because its not "fashionable". That 2 cm of Logo on the front of the shirt can change people's perspective of an individual in an instant. So why exactly are we such slaves to the brand?

Well the blame can certainly be put on the media, with a barrage of advertising and the deification of certain celebrities sporting the latest trends and fashions, who make the everyday consumer feel inadequate if not wearing the same attire. Yet besides the media, the power of individual expression comes into play. Clothes especially can be indicative of who you are, whether it be a businessman wearing "power" clothing such as suits etc, or a musical type in circulation stopping skinny jeans. But should this expression cost you a preverbial arm and leg?

I can understand if the quality of the good is far higher than the other cheaper brands, but in most cases they are all made in the same sweat shop in China, from the same material, but somehow warrant an extravagant price tag! It seems that nowadays a lot of the time its what you wear, not who you are. There are even clubs in London where entrance is only permitted if your clothes sport a fashionable logo. To me that is the height of snobbery. Maybe you should have to tell a joke on the door, or do a dance move just to prove your worth. At least the club would not be short of humourous smooth movers!!

I must admit that writing this is the height of hypocrisy, as I have to guiltily admit that I have a penchant for fashionable brands. I suppose I am just a product of today's society, although judging others is one thing I try to avoid. I am a slave to the brand, but is that my fault?

No comments:

Post a Comment